If you have more than one module installed in the chassis, repeat the steps above for each individual module. All modules must be disconnected from the backplane of the chassis for the password recovery to work.
- Put on the ESD wrist strap and attach it to ground.
- Locate the OFFLINE/RESET button in the front panel of the module.
- Press or tap on the master module’s OFFLINE/RESET button for less than 1 second
- Wait until the master module enters into a halt state (the CPU LED changes to a sequence of amber/off).
- Once in halt state the remove the master module from the chassis.
Once the master module is out of the chassis, then move forward with the next steps below. The following steps are to be applied only on the designated master module.
Note: The location of the Mode Switch Bank varies depending on the module type. Please refer to the Hardware Installation Guide of the module, you are about to perform the procedure, for assistance locating the Mode Switch Bank.
- On the master module, locate the Mode Switch Bank. Example:
- Locate and change the position of switch 8 to reset the admin password to factory defaults settings.
- Insert the master module back into the chassis and wait until it completes the boot process.
- Connect to the console port of the module via VT100 terminal emulator and login with default user name and password. Please refer to the article: What is the default password for accessing local management of former Enterasys switches? for information about default user name and password for legacy Enterasys switches.
- Reinsert the other modules back into the chassis and wait until the system is back up.
- Configure a new password for the user admin. (Highly recommended)