To perform a hitless upgrade to install and upgrade the ExtremeXOS software on your system:
1. View the current switch information with the "Show Switch" command: See below for additional notes with example CLI output.
2. Select the alternate partition to download the image to (and the partition to boot from after
- Determine your selected and booted image partitions.
- Verify which MSM is the master and which is the backup.
- Confirm that the MSMs are synchronized with the show switch command:
installing the image).
3. Download and install the new ExtremeXOS core image on the backup MSM.
4. Reboot this MSM.
5. Verify that the backup MSM comes up correctly and that the MSMs are synchronized (in sync).
6. Initiate failover from the primary MSM to the backup MSM. The backup MSM will now become the new primary MSM.
7. Verify that the MSMs come up correctly and that they are synchronized (in sync).
8. Download and install the new ExtremeXOS core image on the original primary MSM (new backup MSM).
9. Reboot this MSM.
10. Verify that the new backup MSM comes up correctly and that the MSMs are synchronized (in sync).
11. Initiate failover from the new primary MSM to the new backup MSM.
12. Confirm that the failover is successful with the show switch command. Look for (in sync) in "show switch" output.
- See step 6. This optional step restores the switch to the original primary and backup MSM.
13. Each IO blade will also need to be rebooted
- This optional step confirms which MSM is the primary or the backup.
so they are also upgraded.
- disable slot <slot number>
- enable slot <slot number>