The discovery process involves two steps:
1) Check the device reachability (physical).
2) Get the device details.
ICMP protocol is used to check the device reachability before proceeding with discovering process. This is the first step for NOS, FOS and IOS devices discovery.
Once the switch is found reachable using ICMP, then BNA will try to collect the device details by using different protocols based on the device platforms as given below:
1. First BNA gets the SysObjectID through SNMP and detect the product type.
2. All the device communication will happen over http protocol.
3. Initially to acquire connection to switch BNA gets the login credentials and make a connection to switch and the server host.
4. Seed switch is used to discover all the other switches of the fabric. Through seed switch all the switches connected in the fabric are collected.
5. Once the connection is made successfully BNA collects the Fabricinfo.html and gets all member details and basic information of the switch. These basic information collection includes,
V. VLAN collection
VII. TrunkCollector & etc.,
6. This process will be continued for all Individual members in the fabric and also includes any special collectors to be run for the switch based on the configuration.
1. As usual first get the SysObjectID through SNMP and detect the product type.
2. All the device communication will happen over SNMP protocol.
3. Collecting device InventoryData like Physical Interface details, sFlow Capability, Unit Information, POE capability, Trunk Group Info, VLAN information and etc.,
4. SNMP settings and credentials and complete SNMP probe.
5. Process the Device inventory data and store in database.
6. Checks for the plugin need to be run for device like
I. MPLS Manager Discovery Plugin
III. MCT Discovery Plugin
IV. WiNGNetconfDiscoveryPlugin & etc.,
7. Basic information for devices collection includes,
I. LLDP Data
IV. WirelessVLANCollector & etc.,