Before you begin:
Upgrade using FTP/SCP :
- Verify the current version of firmware on the switch.
switch# show version
- Download the version of firmware you want to install from http://support.extremenetworks.com and unzip it to a folder that your ftp server is aware of.
- If you are using Windows for your FTP server, download the .zip format.
- If you are using UNIX for your FTP server, download the .gz format).
- Alternatively you can upgrade the firmware using a Brocade Branded USB.
- Backup your current startup-config file.
Copy startup-config ftp://(username):(password)@(IP Address of FTP server)/(folder)/(file name):
switch# copy startup-config ftp://admin:******@10.10.10.1/archive/startup-config_vdx1_20110711
- Run copy support to gather the core files that may be logged into the switch:
switch# copy support
Upgrade using Brocade Branded USB Stick:
- Enter the command Firmware Download Interactive:
Switch# firmware download interactive
Server Name or IP Address: x.x.x.x (This is the FTP server)
File Name: release.plist (This is the default file name).
Make sure your FTP server is pointing to the full path for the NOS folder (C:\NOS\nos2.0.1b\nos2.0.1b)
Protocol (ftp, scp): ftp
User:anonymous (This is the ftp server username)
Password: (This is the FTP server password.
Hit enter if blank)
Do Auto-Commit after reboot [y]: y
Reboot system after download [y]: y
This command will cause a cold/disruptive reboot and will require that existing telnet, secure telnet, or SSH sessions be restarted.
Do you want to continue (y/n) [y]: y
The following will display on your screen if everything was entered correctly:
Server IP: x.x.x.x, Protocol IPv4 (x.x.x.x will be the IP of your FTP server)
Checking system settings for firmware download.... System settings check passed.
You are running "firmware download" with auto-reboot and auto-commit enabled.
After the firmware is downloaded the system will reboot and commit firmware automatically.
- Copy the NOS code to the USB device from a PC
- Ensure that the USB device is connected to the switch.
- Enter the usb on command.
switch# usb on
Trying to enable USB device. Please wait... USB storage enabled
4.Optional: Enter the usb dir command.
switch# usb dir
0B 2010 Aug 15 15:13 support
106MB 2010 Aug 24 05:36 config
0B 2010 Aug 15 15:13 firmware
380MB 2010 Aug 15 15:13 NOS_v2.1.1
379MB 2010 Aug 15 15:31
Available space on usbstorage 74% 4.
5. Enter the firmware download usb command followed by the relative path to the firmware directory.
switch# firmware download usb directory NOS_v2.1.1
6. Unmount the USB storage device.
switch# usb off
Trying to disable USB device. Please wait... USB storage disabled.