The LACP protocol is not designed to load balance the traffic. Any Layer two protocol for that matter does not have a mechanism to do the load balance. The LACP protocol do only support load sharing. The main difference between load sharing and the load balancing is as follows
- If there are 10 packets to be transmitted across the 2 aggregated links, then the link one will be used to transmit 5 packets and the second one 5 packets.
- This does not follow any mechanism to elect next possible forwarder.
- If there are 10 packets in this case, it depends upon the Hash value after calculating the configured algorithm on which these 10 packets are going to be transmitted.
- Ultimately, the 10 packets would take only one link irrespective of the number of links available in the aggregation.
- Hence, if the stream is symmetric it is more likely to be using the same link to transmit the traffic even though the other available links are totally free.