the WNMP is standard for "Wireless Network Management Protocol" and used in mobility.
When a wireless client is roaming to other AP, the new AP sends a roaming notification inside the user-vlan using the WNMP message.
The WNMP frame has:
Therefore, with WNMP message:
- Client MAC address as source address
- Multicast MAC address 01:A0:F8:F0:F0:04 as destination address
- Network switch can know that client MAC has moved to a different switch port
- The new AP can initiate Firewall Flow migration for the wireless client using MINT as old AP informs the existing sessions
- The APs (old one and new one) can synchronize credential cache information (PMK, PTK, FT, MAC keys and VLAN assignment for the client)