When interop is a requirement where higher max MTU may be necessary for the routed interface, use the ignore MTU option in the S-Series OSPF configuration. While the S-series will not source a jumbo frame from the host IP stack, the S-series will accept large LSAs or other jumbo sized host-destined packets by using soft path fragmentation within the host stack.
- S-series host can read large routing protocol packets but will not source jumbo packets from the host IP stack
- Encapsulation headers are added by the reframer rather than at host
- Port setting necessary to enable jumbo support is the only configuration required to allow the S-Series to switch and route jumbo frames
- Examples of host-sourced packets include SNMP, OSPF and other routing protocol packets, radius, syslog and so on
- S-Series Firmware support for various encapsulations
- S-Series 8.31.x firmware track includes support for MPLS over IPv6
- S-Series 8.21.x firmware includes support for L3 VPN over MPLS (ipv4)
- S-Series 8.11.x firmware includes support for virtual private port service (informally pseusdowire).
- S-Series 8.02.x firmware includes support for L3 VPN over GRE
- S-Series 8.02.x firmware includes support for remote port mirror (L2 GRE tunnel) and sampled port mirror (n-packet mirror)
- S-Series 7.x firmware support includes IP-IP, IP-IP(4 in 6), IPv6IP (6 in 4), IPv6IP (6 in 6) MPLS in IP (v4)